Best Practices for Dehorning (Disbudding) Calves
- Video (english version, 6:34; spanish version, 8:52) by Dr. Adcock. Step-by-step guide to disbudding calves using pain management. UC-Davis.
- Video (short version, 6:02; long version, 14:45). Learn how to use proper pain mitigation when disbudding dairy calves. UW-Extension.
- Podcast (8:41). Interview with Dr. Adcock about disbudding practices and pain management. Cornell Cooperative Extension.
- Article in Dairy Herd Management. 2020. Current and future trends for disbudding practices.
- Article in Bovine Veterinarian. 2020. Pain management is the same for caustic paste and hot-iron methods.
- Article in Progressive Dairy. 2020. Using pain mitigation when disbudding calves. University of Guelph.
- Article in Hoard’s Dairyman. 2019. The best practice is combining a local anesthetic (lidocaine) with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (meloxicam), regardless of whether you burn or paste horn buds.
- Article by Dr. Adcock in Progressive Dairyman. 2018. Why is pain control important, and is younger always better? UC-Davis.
- AABP dehorning guidelines, updated November 2019
- Journal of Dairy Science open-access collection of research papers on disbudding and pain management for calves.
Scientific Societies in Welfare or Behavior
- International Society for Applied Ethology
- American Dairy Science Association
- Dairy Cattle Welfare Council
University Research and Extension groups
- Dairy Extension Resources: UW-Extension Dairy Team
- Wisconsin Dairy & Beef Well-Being: UW-Extension annual conference/roadshow
- The Dairyland Initiative: UW-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine
- Animal Welfare Lab: UW-River Falls
- Center for Animal Welfare: University of California-Davis
- Animal Welfare Program: University of British Columbia, Canada
- Campbell Centre for the Study of Animal Welfare: University of Guelph, Canada