TV Interviews and Video Profiles
- Heat stress abatement in dairy facilities
Jennifer Van Os and Ted Halbach with Heather Schlesser. UW-Madison Extension. September 21, 2020 (6:38)
- Heat stress and animal handling
Jennifer Van Os, Sarah Grotjan, Aerica Bjurstrom, and Amanda Young with Heather Schlesser. UW-Madison Extension. September 21, 2020 (6:24)
- How to graze cattle on pasture in hot weather
Jennifer Van Os, Matt Akins, and Diane Mayerfeld with Heather Schlesser. UW-Madison Extension. September 21, 2020 (8:07)
- Calves and group housing
Jennifer Van Os & Theresa Ollivett. Discussion with Shelly Mayer, PDPW’s The Dairy Signal. August 4, 2020 (1:00:44; video and audio options)
- Mitigate heat stress in your dairy cows
Jennifer Van Os & Nigel Cook. Discussion with Shelly Mayer, PDPW’s The Dairy Signal. July 2, 2020 (1:01:25; video and audio options)
- UW Dairy Animal Welfare Specialist Thankful for the Cows
Jennifer Van Os. Television feature on Wisconsin Life, Wisconsin Public Television, by Andy Soth. December 24, 2019 (4:51; full episode 26:47)
- Experts share best calf care practices with local dairy producers
Jennifer Van Os. Television interview on WEAU 13 News and article by Katerina Vergara. November 20, 2019 (2:16)
- Calf Chat with Ann – Current Calf Research
Jennifer Van Os & Kim Reuscher. Video interview of by Ann Hoskins, Vita Plus Starting Strong. July 17, 2019 (6:55)
- The Dairyland Initiative Youngstock Facility Design Workshop
Jennifer Van Os. Video chat with Tina Kohlman, UW-Extension Fond du Lac County. May 7, 2018
- Recognizing Cow Heat Stress & How Much Water to Apply Through Soakers
Jennifer Van Os. Video interview with California Ag Network (YouTube video, 2:39). April 22, 2015
Radio Interviews and Podcasts
- Keep Your Cows Cool
Jennifer Van Os. Radio interview for Mid-West Farm Report-Madison with Josh Scramlin. August 26, 2020 (11:30)
- Calf Disbudding and Pain Management
Sarah Adcock. Podcast interview for Cornell Cooperative Extension with Lindsay Ferlito. June 26, 2020 (8:41)
- Benefits of Pair or Group Calf Housing
Jennifer Van Os. Radio interview for Mid-West Farm Report-Madison with Josh Scramlin. January 24, 2020 (8:28)
- Rural Route
Jennifer Van Os. Radio interview on Rural Route Radio with Kim Bremmer. September 4, 2019
- Heat Stress Reminder
Jennifer Van Os. Radio interview for PDPW’s Producer Tuesday on Dairy Radio Now with Bill Baker. May 28, 2019 (4:59)
- Part 2: U.S. Dairy Farmers Remain Dedicated to Healthy Cows
Jennifer Van Os. Radio interview for PDPW’s Producer Tuesday on Dairy Radio Now with Bill Baker. May 21, 2019 (4:59)
- Part 1: Improving Animal Welfare
Jennifer Van Os. Radio interview for PDPW’s Producer Tuesday on Dairy Radio Now with Bill Baker. May 14, 2019 (5:00)
- Ag Chat at UW-Madison – Jennifer Van Os
Jennifer Van Os. Radio interview on WSUM 91.7 Madison Student Radio. March 7, 2019
- Social housing for calves
Jennifer Van Os. Radio interview on WGLR 97.7 with Bob Middendorf. March 19, 2019 (9:46)
- UW Madison Extension Specialist Animal Welfare
Jennifer Van Os. Radio interview on WAXX 104.5, Talkin’ With Bob & Kristin. April 20, 2018
Print and Online Articles
- Research explores benefits of pair & group calf housing
Article in California Dairy Magazine by Elizabeth Larson. September, 2020.
- Group housing could improve calf welfare
Article in Dairy Herd Management by Taylor Leach. September 4, 2020.
- New faculty profile: Sarah Adcock specializes in animal welfare
Article by eCALS, University of Wisconsin-Madison College of Agricultural & Life Sciences. August 26, 2020.
- A look at the future of disbudding
Article in Dairy Herd Management by Maureen Hanson. June 5, 2020.
- Anyway you cut it, disbudding hurts
Article in Bovine Veterinarian by Jim Dickrell. June 4, 2020.
- Pair-housing benefits calves
Article in Agri-View by Lynn Grooms. May 21, 2020.
- There are ways to curtail cross sucking
Article in Hoard’s Dairyman Intel by Abby Bauer. May 4, 2020.
- Animal welfare benefits cows, farmers and consumers
Article in Wisconsin State Farmer by Jan Shepel. February 26, 2020.
- Paired calf housing improves learning
Article in Hoard’s Dairyman by Maggie Gilles. February 14, 2020.
- Winter workshops focus on animal welfare, calf care
Article in Dairy Star by Jerry Nelson. January 27, 2020.
- Van Os explains benefits of social calf housing
Article in Dairy Star by Danielle Nauman. December 23, 2019.
- A look at calf welfare from multiple angles
Article in Heifer Notes, Dairy Calf & Heifer Association. Quarter 4 2019.
- America’s changing Dairyland: Consumer values, concerns shape modern animal agriculture
Article in The Badger Herald by Philomena Lindquist. October 15, 2019.
- Just stop the dehorning pain
Article in Hoard’s Dairyman by Abby Bauer. May 6, 2019.
- From the Department Chair
UW-Madison Department of Dairy Science. May 5, 2019
- Animal-welfare train gaining speed
Article in Agri-View by Lynn Grooms. May 2, 2019.
- The business of raising calves
Article in Wisconsin State Farmer by John Oncken. April 16, 2019
- Dairy industry support for graduate students pays off
Article in UW-Madison College of Agricultural & Life Sciences News by Bob Mitchell. March 20, 2019. [Redistributed via Morning AgClips, UW News, Agri-View]
- What would a cow prefer?
Article in Grow – Wisconsin’s Magazine for the Life Sciences by Michael P. King. February 26, 2019
- Expert eyes animal welfare, behavioral well-being
Article in The Country Today by Benjamin Wideman. February 25, 2019
2018 (Van Os joined faculty at UW-Madison)
- Helping cows keep their cool: Professor, dairy farm collaborate
Article in UW News by Bob Mitchell. September 25, 2018. [Redistributed via Hoard’s Dairyman, Progressive Dairyman, Wisconsin State Farmer, Feedstuffs, Agri-View, ADSA Dair-e News, Wisconsin Agriculturalist, OnWisconsin – UW-Madison Magazine]
- Welfare is different for each animal
Article in Hoard’s Dairyman by Abby Bauer.July 2, 2018
- Beyond health: Considerations for promoting good welfare in dairy calves
Vita Plus Starting Strongblog post. June 27, 2018
- Cows — not issues — black and white
Article in The Watertown Daily Times. June 27, 2018. [Redistributed via Wisconsin State Farmer September 27, 2018]
- New faculty profile: Jennifer Van Os specializes in animal welfare
Article by eCALS, University of Wisconsin-Madison College of Agricultural & Life Sciences. May 14, 2018
- New UW-Madison Dairy Science professor looks at animal welfare
Article in The Country Today. April 23, 2018
- Using low-flow cooling systems can reduce water use without compromising animal welfare
Press release for Journal of Dairy Science. May 16, 2016. [Redistributed by ScienceDaily, AAAS EurekAlert!, ADSA Dair-e-News, Phys.org, AlphaGalileo, Health Medicine Network]
- Researchers help dairy farmers cool cows more efficiently, use less water
Article in Science News, United Press International. May 16, 2016. [Redistributed by SeedDaily]
- Cooling cows efficiently with water spray
Article in (e) Science News. May 16, 2016
- Study of cow soakers looks at how to cut down on water
Article in AgAlert: The Weekly Newspaper for California Agriculture by Dennis Pollock. May 27, 2015
- Manifestazioni comportamentali legate allo stress da caldo (Behavioral signs of heat stress).
Article in Mastitis Council Italia. February 25, 2015