Extension articles about farm animal welfare
- How do we maintain consumer confidence? Jesse Robbins, Beth Ventura, and Jennifer Van Os. Hoard’s Dairyman. October, 2020.
- Engage with cattle well-being experts in Wisconsin Dells on February 21. Jennifer Van Os. Wisconsin State Farmer. February, 2020.
- Let cows choose. Jennifer Van Os. Dairy’s Bottom Line. July, 2019.
- Animal welfare should be a strength for a dairy operation, not a threat. Jennifer Van Os. Wisconsin State Farmer. June, 2019.
- Animal care includes providing dairy cattle with opportunities for important behaviors. Jennifer Van Os. Progressive Dairy. June, 2019. [Published in Canada April, 2020]
- Cow-centric approach leads to wins. Jennifer Van Os. Dairy’s Bottom Line 20(5):2-3. July, 2018.
Other resources on farm animal welfare
Assessing Farm Animal Welfare
- PAACO Dairy Welfare Auditor Training: learn to score animal-based measures
- National Dairy FARM Program: USA dairy industry evaluation
- proAction animal care: Canada dairy industry evaluation
Scientific Societies in Welfare or Behavior
- International Society for Applied Ethology
- American Dairy Science Association
- Dairy Cattle Welfare Council
University Research and Extension groups
- Dairy Extension Resources: UW-Extension Dairy Team
- Wisconsin Dairy & Beef Well-Being: UW-Extension annual conference/roadshow
- The Dairyland Initiative: UW-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine
- Animal Welfare Lab: UW-River Falls
- Center for Animal Welfare: University of California-Davis
- Animal Welfare Program: University of British Columbia, Canada
- Campbell Centre for the Study of Animal Welfare: University of Guelph, Canada
Multimedia and press coverage
TV interviews and video profiles
- UW Dairy Animal Welfare Specialist Thankful for the Cows. Television feature on Jennifer Van Os. Andy Soth. Wisconsin Life, Wisconsin Public Television. December 24, 2019. (4:51; full episode 26:47)
- The Dairyland Initiative Youngstock Facility Design Workshop. Video chat with Jennifer Van Os. Tina Kohlman, UW-Extension Fond du Lac County. May 7, 2018.
Radio interviews and podcasts
- Rural Route. Kim Bremmer. Radio interview with Jennifer Van Os. Rural Route Radio. September 4, 2019.
- Part 2: U.S. Dairy Farmers Remain Dedicated to Healthy Cows. Bill Baker. Radio interview with Jennifer Van Os. PDPW’s Producer Tuesday on Dairy Radio Now. May 21, 2019. (4:59)
- Part 1: Improving Animal Welfare. Bill Baker. Radio interview with Jennifer Van Os. PDPW’s Producer Tuesday on Dairy Radio Now. May 14, 2019. (5:00)
- Ag Chat at UW-Madison – Jennifer Van Os. Radio interview with Jennifer Van Os. WSUM 91.7 Madison Student Radio. March 7, 2019.
- UW Madison Extension Specialist Animal Welfare. Radio interview with Jennifer Van Os. WAXX 104.5, Talkin’ With Bob & Kristin. April 20, 2018.
Print and online articles
- Animal welfare benefits cows, farmers and consumers. Jan Shepel. Wisconsin State Farmer. February 26, 2020.
- Winter workshops focus on animal welfare, calf care. Jerry Nelson.
Dairy Star. January 27, 2020.
- America’s changing Dairyland: Consumer values, concerns shape modern animal agriculture. Philomena Lindquist. The Badger Herald by October 15, 2019.
- From the Department Chair. Kent Weigel. UW-Madison Department of Dairy Science. May 5, 2019.
- Animal-welfare train gaining speed. Lynn Grooms. Agri-View. May 2, 2019.
- Dairy industry support for graduate students pays off. Bob Mitchell. UW-Madison College of Agricultural & Life Sciences News. March 20, 2019. [Redistributed via Morning AgClips, UW News, Agri-View]
- What would a cow prefer? Michael P. King. Grow – Wisconsin’s Magazine for the Life Sciences. February 26, 2019.
- Expert eyes animal welfare, behavioral well-being. Benjamin Wideman.
The Country Today. February 25, 2019.
- Welfare is different for each animal. Abby Bauer. Hoard’s Dairyman. July 2, 2018.
- Beyond health: Considerations for promoting good welfare in dairy calves. Vita Plus Starting Strong blog. June 27, 2018.
- Cows — not issues — black and white. Article in The Watertown Daily Times. June 27, 2018. [Redistributed via Wisconsin State Farmer September 27, 2018]
- New faculty profile: Jennifer Van Os specializes in animal welfare. eCALS (University of Wisconsin-Madison College of Agricultural & Life Sciences). May 14, 2018.
- New UW-Madison Dairy Science professor looks at animal welfare. Jenessa Freidhof. The Country Today. April 23, 2018.